Wednesday, August 15, 2012

So far


Water is number one on prepping list.  We not only need it to stay alive but we need it to cook and clean ourselves as well.  I have been on a half a dozen sites that all tell you to save a different amount per person.  I have made the decision to put up 3 gallons of water a day per person and 1 gallon a day per dog, which comes out to 14 gallons of water a day for the household/day and 42 gallons for my initial 3 day goal.  As you can see I still have a bit more to get.  Right now we have 20 gallons.  

Food is number two on my list.  Hubby picked up some MRE type stuff but I think in my initial scenario of a hurricane that we won't really need those as much as if we were going to be without a way to get more for more than 3 or 4 days.  I have heard and believe in the store what you eat and eat what you store scenario, but that being said we don't usually eat canned or boxed foods as we buy what is in season.  So, I will be learning as I go there, plus I will can whatever extra I grow myself but that probably won't start until next year unless I can get some good deals on bulk fruit and veggie at the farmer's market.  

Working from there I need to get more organized.  Make my lists, do my research and learn what I can learn.  It's a lot of work, but I am excited and ready to get out there and get started.

1 comment:

  1. Update: Still on sale at the grocer so got 10 more. Wish I could buy more than 10 at a time but I will hit them up again next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete