Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap For Sensitive Skin


Look how lovely it looks.


My husband and two sons have super sensitive skin to most laundry detergents and my oldest son even breaks out in hives if I use something on the 'no no' list.  We had been using All Free and Clear and it worked for a few years but they are complaining again of itchy and dry skin. So instead of spending a bunch of money trying a new variety of detergents to figure out what we could use next I decided to hit Google and see what I could find.

I ran across this blog post http://thethriftycouple.com/2012/01/26/homemade-laundry-detergent-powder-recipe-like-ivory-snow-and-dreft-soap/ that a very informative woman wrote. I chatted with her for a few days, ran our situation by her and decided to go ahead and  give it a try.  

After 3 days of them wearing clothes washed in it the itchy complaints have stopped.    Of course this was a blind study because I think sometimes they just get an idea in their heads and run with it LOL.   I do want to point out that I chose baking soda over the washing soda because it is less caustic.  I don't have little kids anymore so the clothes don't get that dirty.


It was so inexpensive and super easy to make anyone could do it.  $4.99 for the Borax, $1.00 for the Ivory soap and $2.99 for the Baking Soda.  That is a lot less than the cost of the All Detergent.  Plus it is even less when you separate it out into how many batches I can make.  With the 3 pack soap we know I can at least make 3 batches.  I think though that it would make at least 5 if I had bought a 5 pack of Ivory rather than the smaller package.

I was also surprised at how little I have use.  I use 1 to 2 tablespoons depending on what I am washing and it gets them sparkly clean and there is no detergent odor left on the clothes.  

Just one more tiny step in my quest of self sufficiency and prepping for the anything that might come up.

Please post any questions you might have and I will do my best to answer them or at least point you in the right direction to get it answered.



2 comments:

  1. Do you place the mixture directly into thr washer drum or in the detergent compartment on an he washer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it in the detergent compartment. You could probably put in the wash itself.

      Delete